Monday, April 16, 2012

Update on welfare...

So the boys had their hearing test on Thursday afternoon (4-12). As I was waiting at the hospital for the sitter I tried calling again. I still couldn't get though on the automated phone interview phone lines. I gave up and called the worker that had treated me poorly. She admitted that there had been some phone issues but she never bothered to call/email me about it. She told me I would just have to go in. She asked how my job searching and "approved activity" was going. I told her the truth that I hadn't found many jobs to apply for but that I was online a lot during the week. I mentioned that I was at the hospital and she asked why so I explained that the boys had hearing tests scheduled due to all the ear problems. Her reply : "So you aren't job searching right now ?" Um no, I am waiting for the boys to be dropped off to take them in the hospital. "Well, if you aren't doing approved activity right now then they can't be with the sitter !!". That was almost the final straw that made me want to tell DES to take there huge whopping $164 and tell them to shove it ! After the hearing test (Jason passed but Sam has borderline to mild hearing loss) I was again so angry and frustrated. I know that a couple days of daycare didn't cause this but it also wasn't going to help. I needed to be at home with my boys, making preschool, speech therapy and DR visits a priority - not jumping through hoops for DES.

That night, I talked to my ex-husband for a while. He said he saw the post and he understood the BS behind all they wanted me to do. He said he wanted the boys home with me and we came to an agreement. I should have the money I need to live on from him and some possible side jobs down the line. It made me feel a lot better and stress was starting to lift...

On Friday morning, the boys got to go to Open Gym at Flagstaff Gymnastics Center for free. They loved it and I even jumped into the foam pit once :)

After leaving, my friend drove us to the DES office. It took more than an hour to be seen and there were only 5 other people waiting to be seen. Just as I was starting to throw a fit with the supervisor, workers came back from lunch and my name was called. I told her I no longer wanted to get the welfare cash assistance. She closed that part of the case correctly but...She did the opposite of almost everything else I said and tried to lower my SNAP (food stamps) amount because she couldn't use a calculator correctly. I pointed out the error from doing the math in my head and had her fix it. I was finally approved for SNAP thru October and then insurance for a year for the 3 of us. It was a huge hassle to get this done and it took up so much time.

I understand they are trying to make things easier but nobody works together to better their service. People get so frustrated they walk out of the office. If you bring your kids, the workers get frustrated with you, if you have all the paperwork they might need they consider you a smart ass, not a prepared, organized client.

I am glad I don't have to rely on that $164 each month but it also scares me. I am trying to have faith the size of a mustard seed for a problem the size of a mountain. I am just going to have to pray a lot and trust that we will have our needs met. I am even working on a spread sheet of my financials to get all the numbers down on paper.

Well, I finally got the boys asleep after a late nap and their 2nd burst of energy. We were watching GLEE S2 on DVD and they kept wanting to dance. I had to turn it off and force them to lay down in the toddler beds with all the lights off in the house. I have had such a headache for the last couple days so staring at this screen is not helping. As always thank you for reading my blog. Comment, share with friends, just don't be mean.