Monday, March 28, 2011

It never ends...

So I haven't written in a while because every time I sat down to start, I realized my emotions were too raw. It has been a stressful couple of weeks but we have gotten through it. Here is a condensed version of what has been happening...

About a week into March I found out about an emergency hearing that had been scheduled regarding custody of the twins. I had not been notified by my ex or by the court. I found out on my own. It turned out that my ex had made (false) claims against me to try and win custody. After I calmed down, I called the courts. I got permission to call in (instead of having to appear in person 150 miles away from home) and defend myself. The hearing was set for March 14 and I called in as it was starting. I was so nervous, but I stayed calm for the entire hearing. I won't get into specifics - but the claims against me could not be proved. I had proof of why I had left town; where I stayed when I moved; what/how I was currently doing; and how the boys were seen on a weekly basis by multiple agencies in town. The judge awarded me sole physical custody of the twins. Their father was given supervised visitation every other weekend. He is allowed to come up to where we live and see them for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. No overnights yet because of their age. The visits are supervised my by his parents, the twins' grandparents.

The first visitation was the weekend of March 19th and 20th. It started off a little rocky and I was on the receiving end of some harsh words. Those four hours dragged by and I didn't know what to do with myself without two toddlers to hold or chase after. The boys were brought back on time and seemed fine. Sunday morning's exchange was a little better and I received an apology. The boys seemed to be in a good mood when they returned four hours later. (I had gone to church and helped out a little and it was a little easier to deal with.) The grandparents even had some clothes that they gave me for the twins. I never saw my soon to be ex-husband.

I hope that the few wrinkles will be ironed out in time for the next visit; however, I am sure there will be new wrinkles to deal with. After four visits, the times will extend to eight hours. That will be a long day for everyone involved. Hopefully by then I will be more comfortable with having two free arms and I will accomplish something while out on my own.

St. Patrick's Day 2011

I just love the look he is giving his brother.

Sammy climbed in to his chair all by himself...

He loves that pillow and sleeps under it every night.

So sweet... but a minute later they were fighting !

At the DR today, keep reading for an update...

The boys still have been having problems since they were sick last month. They seem to have kicked the respiratory issues but they were still having issues with their ears. Today we went and saw our ENT. This is one of the best doctors I have taken the twins to since they were born. Our appointments were set for 2:30 and 2:45 this afternoon. He finished up with the previous patient and brought us back early. He checked out the ears, listened to the lungs/heart and made his decision all before 2:40. We got a prescription and were done by 2:45 ! You might think that was too fast... but he is just that good.

The boys had tubes put in their ears back in November. They had multiple ear infections after we moved up here. Once the tubes were in we had ZERO problems for four months (Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb). At the end of February, they both ended up with secondary ear infections because of the RSV and pneumonia. They had so much gunk (big medical term) that the tubes failed. Sam lost one of his tubes and the other is completely clogged. Jason has one tube that is still working and the second one is clogged. They will both be going in to have their tubes re-done. The surgery is quick, about 5 to 10 minutes. They were a million times better later that afternoon. I am still nervous since they will be put under general anesthesia, but I am glad to know it is an easy fix to a month of problems. They could be going in for surgery as early as this Friday. I should get a call from the surgery center tomorrow.

Well, they have been asleep for a couple hours now... which means I should be in bed too. If you are still reading, you deserve a cookie !

~ Courtney